FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. WHEN FISHING FOR ATLANTIC SALMON IS THE MIRAMICHI RIVER A FLY-FISHING-ONLY RIVER?
New Brunswick regulations state that: No persons shall fish for sea run Atlantic salmon in the Province of New Brunswick except by angling with fly.
2. WHEN FLY FISHING, WHAT KIND OF FISH CAN BE CAUGHT IN THE MIRAMICHI RIVER?
Although Atlantic Salmon are the # 1 species anglers fish for, fishermen also use the method of fly fishing for Trout, Shad and now, Striped Bass. The Miramichi River has a respectable quantity of these three species.
3. WHAT IS THE FLY FISHING SEASON?
The fly-fishing season on the Miramichi River runs for six months from the opening on the 15th of April until closing on the 15th of October. This is the longest fishing season for Atlantic salmon in the world. The Striped Bass season runs from May 1st until September 30th.
4. DO NON-RESIDENTS REQUIRE A GUIDE WHILE FISHING FOR ATLANTIC SALMON IN NEW BRUNSWICK?
All non-residents require a licensed guide while fishing for Atlantic salmon and when fishing for any other species in Atlantic salmon water after the designated date.
5. CAN A NOVICE FLY FISHING ANGLER FISH THE MIRAMICHI RIVER WITH ANY LUCK?
Yes, our fly fishing packages are fully guided and for those needing lessons or instruction, a guide will be more than happy to assist you. Although the Atlantic Salmon is a wild fish, and at times throughout the season difficult to catch, we offer our guests all the key ingredients for success - private fishing on a great river with lots of fish! Each year many beginner fishermen land their first Atlantic salmon while fishing with us.
6. WHAT FLIES AND RODS SHOULD YOU BRING?
Once you have arranged a stay with us, we will send you a 'Trip Tip' package with all the information needed for your trip, including what rods, flies and other necessities that you may need, including a list of tackle shops we recommend that can assist you in buying equipment before or while visiting us. We also have a good selection of equipment available for use here at Country Haven including rods, waders and flies.
7. IS THE ACCOMMODATION IN A LICENSED OUTFITTING ESTABLISHMENT THAT HAS BEEN RATED BY AN INSPECTION AGENCY AN ASSURANCE OF QUALITY WHILE ON A FISHING VACATION?
Of all the licensed outfitters in the Province, we have been awarded a 4-star rating, the highest rating possible and shared by only a select few outfitters in New Brunswick. The ratings are made by 'Canada Select', the agency that sets the standards in Canada.
8. IS THE OUTFITTER A MEMBER OF ANY OUTFITTER ASSOCIATION OR ORGANIZATION?
Country Haven for many years has been a member of the New Brunswick Professional Outfitters Guide Association, where members conform to a rigorous set of quality standards in order to ensure satisfaction, comfort and the safety of guests.
9. WILL I BE FISHING IN PUBLIC OR PRIVATE WATER, AS MOST OF THE WORLD'S RIVERS ARE PUBLIC WATER ONLY AND MAY BECOME OVERCROWDED?
The Main Southwest Miramichi is only one of the few remaining rivers in North America where the fishing rights are still owned by private ownership. We have access to 11 private fishing pools throughout the river, making us one of the top outfitters for private water Atlantic salmon fishing in New Brunswick. Although most of our fishing is done in private pools on the Main River, our great location, being within 25 minutes from 5 other salmon tributaries, allows us to fish these public rivers as well when the time of season and conditions allow.
10. IS THE ESTABLISHMENT LOCATED ON A SECTION OF RIVER THAT CAN OFFER THE BEST CHANCE FOR SUCCESS REGARDLESS OF SEASON OR CONDITIONS?
Our establishment is located on the lower stretch of the Main Southwest Miramichi River, considered to be the most productive stretch of river in the system. Being only 5 miles above the tidal influx you can be assured that you will always be fishing over some of the freshest and most active fish on their journey upriver.
11. WILL I BE PROVIDED WITH WELL-TRAINED AND DEPENDABLE GUIDES, AS IT IS REQUIRED FOR NON-RESIDENTS TO HAVE A GUIDE WHILE FISHING ATLANTIC SALMON IN NEW BRUNSWICK?
At Country Haven you can be assured that you will always be guided by NB # 1 Certified Professional Guides with many years of experience and fully trained in First Aid and CPR.
12. WHILE PLANNING A FISHING TRIP, WHAT DO I HAVE TO BRING OR NEED TO GET BEFORE FISHING?
If you are planning on fishing with us, feel free to bring anything of your own including equipment that might make your trip more enjoyable. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, anytime, but we do have everything available to help make for a hassle-free trip including equipment and fishing license that will be needed right here at Country Haven.
13. DOES YOUR OUTFITTING BUSINESS HAVE ANY RETURNING CLIENTS FROM YEAR TO YEAR?
At Country Haven we have been averaging between an 80 to 85% return rate among our fishing guests from around the world over the past three seasons.
14. IS THE MIRAMICHI AREA ACCESSIBLE BY AIR AND AUTOMOBILE?
At Country Haven we are located approximately 1 1/2 hours from two major airports with flights arriving daily from around the world. We are also only 20 minutes from the Miramichi airport for private and charter flights. Shuttle service from airports is provided by Country Haven and we are also accessible by automobile from anywhere within North America.
15. IF FOR SOME UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES I SHOULD NEED TO CANCEL MY VACATION, WHAT IS THE REFUND POLICY?
At Country Haven we require a 30% deposit at time of booking with the balance at the end of your vacation with us. If for some reason, after booking, you may not be able to keep your booking date let us know 60 days prior to arrival and your deposit is totally refundable. After 60 days before arrival your deposit will be placed toward another date in the future, up until 5 years from the time of your initial trip.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT FLY-FISHING FOR ATLANTIC SALMON, CONTACT:
Tel/Fax No: (506) 843-9010
Toll Free: 1-877-359-4665 (1-877-FLY HOOK)
Site maintained by Access Web Solutions - revised April 4th 2018